Fizzy Fried Chicken & Waffles
Crispy southern style waffles, topped with fizzy fried chicken, sweet maple syrup, whipped butter and fresh micro greens.
For the waffles:
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons butter — melted, cooled slightly
- 1 & 1/2 cups milk
- 1 & 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Hot sauce to taste (I added about 10 dashes)
- 75ml / 1/4 cup SodaStream sparkling water
- To cook: butter
For the fizzy fried chicken:
- 4 boneless, chicken thigh, cut into thin fillets
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + extra for seasoning
- For frying: vegetable or canola oil
- Maple syrup
- Whipped butter
- Fresh micro greens like watercress
- Hot sauce
To make the batter: in a food processor or blender, pulse together all the batter ingredients (except sparkling water). Pour into a bowl, add the sparkling water, whisking until it creates a soft & light batter. Make sure you blend this batter as otherwise the cheese tends to burn when cooking.
- To fry the chicken. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed fry pan until oil is approx 175°C. Pour buttermilk in a bowl and place thighs in there, toss to coat. In another bowl, mix together the flour & spices. Lift chicken individually out of the buttermilk, shaking off the excess, then dredge in the flour mix, shake, and pop into the fry pan and fry until golden. Approx 3-4 minutes each side. Alternatively use a deep fryer (in which you can submerge chicken until golden). Using tongs, lift out onto a plate lined with paper towel. Season with salt.
- To cook the waffles: While the chicken is frying, heat up the waffle maker, and pop into some butter, allowing it to reach the sides of the mould. Pour in the batter and cook until golden.
- To serve: serve waffles, topped with whipped butter, maple syrup and fresh micro greens. Hot sauce goes REALLY well too!
Recipe by: Anisa Sabet from: https://anisasabet.com.au/